Friday, August 10, 2012

Iban Disciples of Jesus at Tudan, Miri

Dear brothers and sisters,

Thanks very much for upholding in prayers as I preached at Tudan Methodist Church last Indigenous People Sunday, 29th July. It was an unforgettable experience as I ministered in the word of God and prayers.

Supremacy of Christ

I was all excited about preaching against syncretism using Colossians 1:15-20, urging them to give up their charms and amulets, not to visit shamans (bomoh or manang), and not to fear bad dreams. Sister Pauline gave a testimony of how she and whole family totally trusted Jesus and gave up charms and amulets. I believe Jesus used my preaching and sister Pauline’s testimony to empower Iban brothers and sisters to trust Jesus 100% as my research showed 3 out of 10 Ibans are syncretistic. There were also songs sung on the supremacy of Christ. That is they accepted Jesus as their saviour but they also believe in the other powers that can solve their problems. I preached trusting Jesus 100% and not trust other powers at all.

Tearful Responses

After the service, I called for prayers for those who needed it. As usual I use James 5 in praying for the sick. I requested bro Wong Kung Kui and bro Bali and sister Pauline who are church leaders to join me in praying for their needs. We always sing ‘In the Cross’ to focus on Jesus to humble ourselves before Him and asked for His forgiveness of our sins according to James 5. We confessed our sins. There were about 15 of us who needed prayers. We did it one by one and we laid our hands on each one of them; and I anointed them with olive oil as taught by James 5.

We prayed Jesus’ forgiveness of our sins, healing of sickness, blessings and binding of spirits like fear, and sickness; and command them to leave the body. I could see that they trusted Jesus in faith. Quite a few of them wept, cried and sobbed as we prayed and ministered. I believed the Spirit of Jesus touched them as we ministered.

Very Encouraged

I learnt news of a sister who is accepted into a local university. It is a great news as this is what we always prayed for them and our vision to see all their children to enter university. Her family asked the church to help her in the area of finance for her to go. Grace Methodist Church responded so willingly and timely. I am so encouraged that I have to put it down in record like this. I pray that more and more Methodist churches will help in the indigenous people education in Sarawak as we train them to disciples of Jesus.

Let us not only interested in the Ibans’ salvation; but also be channels of social concerns to them in the areas of education, health and welfare as Jesus is not only interested in the salvation of their souls but very much their overall well beings. The gospel of Christ must be holistic in touching Ibans spiritual, social-welfare, economic, and political needs. Will you live out this kind of gospel among the Ibans?

A Faithful Disciple of Jesus,

Pastor Law Hui Seng

(STS, KK, 4th August, 2012)

Posted By Teresa Han

No comments: