Thursday, August 23, 2012

Experiencing Spirit of Jesus at Thesis Oral Defence

Dear brothers and sisters,

I passed my Master of Theology thesis oral defence with corrections this afternoon at about 4pm. Thanks you very much for taking time to pray for me. I also asked STS BM students and a few Mandarin department students to pray for my thesis defence. I strongly believe Jesus heard your prayers and my prayers.

It was once in my life time thesis defence! In my own human planning, I never thought of doing Master of Theology. I told people I prefer to be with my 4 teenaged children and coach them as they grow up to be teenagers and to be with my wife who has a heart valve leakage problem. I prefer to do the BM ministry and see results of conversions after conversions. However, Jesus put a burden in me that made me realized I need to multiply my efforts. There is a great need for more BM pastors and SCAC have not produced enough. On my way to minister in Brunei few years ago, Jesus called me to multiply my effort by training more of them. I responded to that calling willingly without any bargaining with Jesus. I believe He will provide anything my family needs and He will qualify me! Jesus qualified me with a pass this afternoon. Here was my experience.

Experienced Spirit of Jesus

I could sense I was a bit nervous at first when I did my thesis presentation for the first few minutes. Praise the Lord it went away and I could feel that I was confident to defend my thesis. (In fact, with all my preparations, I still worried about going blank before this. This is my confession)

I could answer most of the questions well in the sense that I could explain myself. In areas where the panel thought I was weak I admitted I had to elaborate more. I agree with them I have to resolve my key problem of negative correlation; my applications are conceptual and not practical enough; lacking explanations for my key assumption; and too much quotation from one source. I had written 4 chapters. Now I have to do minor corrections for chapter 2; and major corrections for chapter 3 and 4; and one short chapter 5 with vision and conclusion added.

How did I experience the Spirit of Jesus? Firstly, as I explained myself, I was so confident I answered their questions and I experienced peace in the process. Secondly, as I agree with them the need to improve my thesis, I was not frustrated, not disheartened, not disappointed, and definitely not depressed by the challenges to do it. Thirdly, I just felt their inputs and suggestions were constructive to make my thesis better. Fifthly, I really enjoyed my thesis defence!

Prayer Requests:

(1) Thank God for the pass with corrections. Jesus has qualified me.

(2) Pray that I am able to find good information on how to resolve the negative correlation. Pray that I will do a careful job of corrections.

(3) Pray that Jesus empowers me to preach to the youths and church members at Tawau Methodist Church this weekend 18th and 19th August. Pray that Jesus shows me their needs. (I will be in Miri 21st to 27th August)

(4) Pray that Jesus empowers me to preach to Tudan Methodist Church members so that their faith is strengthened and not afraid of ghosts on 26th August back in Miri.

I pray that all of us experience the Spirit of Jesus in a real personal manner; and Jesus gives you joy.

A Faithful disciple of Jesus,

Pastor Law Hui Seng

(STS, KK, Just after Mth. Thesis Oral Defence, 15th August)

Posted By Teresa Han

No comments: