Tuesday, August 16, 2011

‎Sunday, ‎14 ‎August, ‎2011

Dear brothers and sisters,
I am now back to STS, KK. I returned on 6th August. I went through a very enriched, challenged and intensive week of readings and lectures on the course on "Globalization and Missions". It really opened my eyes to see how globalization impacts the Church and Christians; how we should do missions and discipleship.

Praise the Lord, my wife heart valve leakage check at Kuching showed heart condition is not worsening but she needs to do regular follow up. I thank Jesus for His grace and mercy upon my 4 children. The twins seem to see realize the importance of education for their lives (me and my wife always pray for that to happen). All 4 of them now help out in the household chores like washing dishes and sweeping the floor. It is an answered prayer also!
Deputy Chief Minister of Sarawak

Before I came here, I visited 2 YBs (Alan Ling Sie Kiong and Fong Pau Teck) of Miri with a few pastors and lay people on the 5th August. They are real humble state assembly men of Sarawak, from Democratic Action Party (DAP). I invited them to listen to my sermon at Hwai En Methodist Church on 31st July, they came. Anyway, brother Alan Ling is worshipping at Mei Ann and brother Fong is worshipping at Hwai En.

I wanted them to listen to my sermon at Hwai En on 31st July because I know they are very much serving the indigenous people of Sarawak. I preached a sermon on changing our Chinese mindset to make disciples among Ibans and other tribal groups. After they listened, I made appointment to see them. I told them my purpose was to pray and encourage them. I was so excited, encouraged and glad I could easily see them. Ever since the Sunday, every day I was preparing myself to bring up important things with them. Every day, I rehearsed in my mind the important things to say and even to be humorous about. As I did so, I also prayed about it. The more I thought about it, the more Jesus told me not to go alone but to bring in our Miri District Superintendent, Miri District Social Concerns Commission Chairlady and my fellow Pastor, Tan Chung Kiat (who is passionate about politics). I obeyed Jesus to call the DS and she just agreed.

In that one and half hour of meeting, it was full of laughter and I believed the presence of God also. We introduced ourselves to one another. I really joked about my previous dream of becoming a Deputy Chief Minister of Sarawak in my early days of studies at Penang USM, where I did my major in Political Science. I said God changed my mind and I turned out to be a pastor! My DS and bro Alan Ling joked about my dream. Whenever I joke about it, people always tell me it is still possible. My response to them is this: I am very sure of God's calling to be a pastor and I shall participate with the rest of the Church in transforming Sarawak (in particular) and Malaysia (in general).
We really shared about concerns for the society with them. We hope that they will refer cases like very poor people, marital troubles, orphans, and people with troubles, victims of all kinds of disasters, etc to us as we have agencies to possibly meet their needs. Sister Magdalene our District Social Concerns Chairlady introduced our Methodist Children Home, Sincere (counseling) and Hope (mentally challenged) Centers. Pastor Tan shared about Gan En church ministry with the Iban long houses for 13 years. So, we are now linked. I strongly believe that Jesus will open more doors for us to care and make disciples of the poor and needy.

YB Fong shared about his conviction to serve the people of Sarawak in politics. It all started with a need and he is passionate about pursuing it. To pursue his passion, he equipped himself in Taiwan and spent 30 months in England to observe how the political system there worked!
I affirmed them what they were doing for the Miri was on the right track and they should keep doing it. Pressing on the needs for transparency in government policies, justice, helping the poor, reaching out to the indigenous people, corruption free, etc by the political party are right moves. I really grasped the opportunity to stress on corruption free on running a government. We hoped they will keep introducing new political culture to the present politics of Sarawak. By no means, they practice corruption!

I also said to both of them that I had a burden to do bible studies with politicians. In fact, in my mind, what I hope to do with them is to make disciples of politicians so that they can be strong politicians for the truths which they are pursuing all the time. Do pray that this will become a reality in my life time.

I pray that all of you will show concerns for our politicians by praying for them; show concerns for politics by not practicing bribery, voting and encouraging the politicians both from the opposition and the government.

A faithful disciple of Jesus,
Pastor Law Hui Seng
(STS, KK)
Posted by Teresa Han

No comments: