Monday, August 8, 2011

Dear brothers and sisters,

Praise the Lord despite a very busy reading schedule I can still write to you. I enjoy learning from those highly reccommended books. Every time when I learn new things, my hear is overjoyed and really felt it is a great privilege to study again. However, I have to do it with the great understanding of my wife and 4 children. My wife, Julia, recently fell sick and praise the Lord, she is recovering well. Every time I talk about my wife, I am so proud of her. She is not only (I almost leave out the 'not', as I tend to do most of the times. Otherwise, the meaning is completely different) a great wife and a great mother, but she is very much a great blessing to GMC GB and Pujut School GB.

My father-in-law is doing mission with me.
For about 2 months, my father-in-law (94 years old), Mr Chin Thin Chu and me, we had not played Chinese chess. I went home for my semester break and he fell ill and hospitalized for one week for pneumonia. We started again yesterday. He had his one eye lensored and now he can see clearly. His other eye is not working. I had a very spiritual encounter with him last Sunday. I just felt Jesus is using him to do mission on me. He may not see it that way, but as you read my testimony, you will understand why.
I won the first game in a very unusual manner. Right from the beginning I made a very major careless mistake. I made a careless move which resulted in the death of my one (out of 2) canon, the second most powerful agent. Then, he went on to attack me all the way. At the crucial point of the game, where if I did not sacrifice my (one out of 2) vehicle in exchange for his canon, the most powerful agent, he would defeat me. He also I chose not to give up so soon and persevere to give him a good fight. I believe from my past experience before a game ended, anything could happen.

In the process of my defence, I made a crucial move to counter attack and he did not calculated it and I guessed when he was at his strongest, it was also his weakest moment because he thought I was weak and I could not do much. As I counter attacked, he made a careless move which resulted in the death of his vehicle. It was a great moral blow to him. I was also very happy and it was my strongest moment and also my weakest moment. When he attacked me again, I did not calculate my move carefully, I lost my canon again. No more cannon. I was taught secon lesson for my carelessness. By now, the game was 50 50. However, I was able to catch his favorite horse, that was not in his calculation. In the end, I was left with 2 powerful horses and he got only 1 horse. He surrendered the game.

I learn from this game that in life, when you have small losses or defeat, you just do not give up, Jesus is always there to see you through, especially if I learn to correct myself of the wrong move and start all over again. Like the chess game, I did not give and continue to make the correct, in the end I still won.

However, as I played the second game, I was defeated in a bad manner. I could not recover from the attack. My major mistake was to pay great attention to his 'small fry' of the soldier (which turned up to be the giant killer as it was responsible to set the stage for all the fierce attack) coming down to my territory, a great threat to me. In the process of thinking how to get rid of it I neglect to calculate his other (larger picture) hidden plans of attacking me. As I reflect I made the serious mistake of beat the tree but miss the bush.

In life, we can pay 100% attention to something small and unimportant things and miss the larger picture of life like our family, relationships, christian testimony, values and character, etc.

I hope you see why my father-in-law is doing mission with me at the chinese chess. In fact, he was very excited about the games and he wanted to continue with the third game but I really said that I need to come back to hostel to do my studies.

A Faithful disciple of Jesus,
Pastor Law Hui Seng
‎(Monday, ‎4 ‎July, ‎2011, STS, KK)

Posted by Teresa Han

No comments: