Friday, January 27, 2012

Beyond Sacrifice

Dear brothers and sisters,

Praise the Lord I had a chance to play Chinese chess with my 95 year old father-in-law few nights ago. It was a great fellowship with a great learning which I called beyond sacrifice.

My father-in-law fell sick last December. For a few months we could not play chess. This time we resumed. Though I was defeated, I learnt a great insight about life.

As usual, I was attacked most of the times as I could hardly have the chance to attack him. He is so good in both defending and attacking at the same time. It was a 2 hour game. Towards the end of the game, we both left with a canon and a vehicle. His king was well protected by his 2 buses and 2 elephants; he only left one soldier. I only left 1 bus, one elephant, but 3 soldiers. He was skilful enough to eat 2 of my 3 soldiers.
At that crucial moment, on one hand, deep down in my heart, I told myself, I would properly lose the game, on the other hand, I told myself not to give up, I need to persevere in making all the right moves. I was also hoping for a surprising win. I need to make extraordinary moves. I need to make moves which were not within his calculation.

In that game, I hardly had a chance to attack him. How to attack him? I need to answer this question in the midst of the long fought battle. I made used of my only soldier left and it was at his bottom line. He had assumed that it was not effective anymore. I made full use of this oversight and I created a rare opportunity to attack him, by sacrificing my canon in exchange for his bus. He commented that it was a very brave move. That was the only positive comment which came from him throughout the whole game. The sacrifice that almost turned the whole game to my advantage! I got to attack his king a few times and got very near to finish the game.

However, he is a very good chess player, a very experienced one. Though he did not foresee my sacrificial move, a surprised move, and an extraordinary move, he was very careful not to make any wrong move. In the end, he still beat me!

Why I still want to write despite my loss? The reason is very simple. I learn a very precious insight about chess and life. When I sprang an extraordinary and unexpected sacrifice, I open myself to the golden opportunity of a chance to attack and to win. I see golden opportunities beyond the sacrifice. Without the sacrifice, I only wait for defeat and loss!I do not want it.

In relating to life and theology, I see the value of sacrifice in life. In life, most people see it as something negative, nothing good about it! Do you see it that way too? When someone chooses to forgive and not hate; not insist on compensation and let go; choose not to take revenge and bless, etc, there is sacrifice involved. When a sacrifice is made, not only both sides are blessed, people who are directly or directly involved in our lives are blessed. May be it can save a life, a marriage, a friendship, business, a church split; restore dignity and integrity, etc. You see the good opportunities available behind a sacrifice.

There are just too many values behind a sacrifice. This is constantly appearing in my personal reflection upon the sacrifice made by Jesus on the cross. I see that the sacrifice made by Jesus on the cross has such a powerful extensive impact in so many peoples’ lives. Jesus made a sacrificial death for my sins and the sins of mankind, I buy that. He overcame death by resurrection; He now has the power to forgive your sins and my sins.

Without the sacrifice of our dear Lord Jesus, you and me may not know how to deal with our sins, and we forever live under the guilt and all the consequences of our sins.

I always come to the conclusion that, Jesus is the best example to show us how to made a sacrifice. Yes, you may insist all the love, justice, benefits, good treatments, privileges, well-beings, welfare, respect and dignity, forgiveness, etc, which you deserve as human beings. When these virtues are denied, will you prepare to sacrifice so that Jesus’ kingdom may advance?

When I have a conflict with my wife, I always ask myself what is at stake. Is it my pride, own interest, own anger, some emotional feelings, etc, that bothers me? Or, is it some teachings of the bible, fear of Christ, certain Christ’s teaching, etc, at stake? If it is the former, I tend to keep quiet and not to waste my energy to sin against Jesus. If it is the later, I know righteousness is at stake, I would clearly make my stand and leave her to God. I believe in the process of doing so, a certain degree of sacrifice is involved. I do not mean to say she is wrong I am right or vice-versa. I leave it to Jesus to judge and her. On my part, I make sure I am at peace with Jesus. And I make sure I do not sin against my wife according to the teachings of Jesus.

Will you join me in following Christ in making sacrifices in order to make disciples of all nations (including your wife, husband, children, and the people around you; and also the people whom you minister)?

A Faithful disciple of Christ,
Pastor Law Hui Seng
(KK, Chinese New Year, in-laws house, 25th Jan, 2012)

Posted by Teresa Han

No comments: