Monday, May 16, 2011

Dear brothers and sisters,

Praise the Lord I have completed all my assignments. I passed up my last paper on 14th May. I really enjoyed doing all the papers. It was a great privilege to be able to spend time to think through the issues of life and ministry and I dealt with them in my papers. I felt like I became more confident after that.

Iban people need Jesus

Today I preached at Tudan Methodist Church in Miri. I felt very at home with the over 100 congregation Iban brothers and sisters. I felt very good to be with them. I preached a sermon on honoring parents in Bahasa Malaysia (Malay Language). After my preaching, I announced for the congregation to come forward after service to be prayed for. It was part of my sermon.

Based on James 5, I always use olive oil to anoint and bless them. About 15 parents and youths came forward. I ministered with brother Wong Kung Kui. He has great burden to do mission among Ibans also. A few cases warrant my records here. The following most striking cases again reminds me of the great need of Ibans for Jesus.

This middle aged Iban had a dream where he lost one tooth last night. He confessed that normally in Iban culture, it meant very bad things was going to happen. He was very worried and scared of it. As he described it, he almost cried. I could see he was holding back his tears though he eyes were wet. I assured him of the greatest power of Jesus in overcoming the so called bad omen of the dream. I kept emphasizing not to believe in the dream but believe in Jesus to overcome the dream. I also explained that it was psychological to dream about it as he might be worried day time. I also told him if it was the devil’s attack Jesus could overcome it also. Then, I put in all my heart to anoint him and bless him. I asked bro Kung Kui who understood his situation better than me to pray and lay hands on him. As he prayed, I notice drops of tears coming down from his eyes and he even cried out. I strongly believed that Jesus used our prayers to minister to him and he felt relieved. After that I gave him a good hug and I really told him, “Jesus loves you” in BM.

In another case, one mother complained about the rebellion of his son. My heart felt for him (and cried) and really advised him he must repent, only then, there was future for him. In the end, I felt so much for him I even gave him a very good hug.

One sister in her early 30s came forward to be prayed for, she confessed that she went to see Bomoh before she was a Christian for her health problem. She was told her problem could be solved with the RM200 that she paid. The healing did not occur. Now, she is coming to church to trust God for healing. I remind her to see a doctor but I did pray for her health problem.

Another sister was prayed for by us. She was a young Christian and uneducated. But she hungered for the word of God. She is very much into reading the Bible. Bro Kung Kui was impressed by her. Me too.

From all these cases, I really thank God that we have built a Church there. Now, this church is a huge blessing to them. Also, I saw numerous children (about 70) and at least 20 youths in the congregation. Our youths are teaching in the children Sunday School. One sister from SIB is coming to help in the Sunday School. All these are signs of good progress. Grace Methodist Church members are helping them to do English for fun fortnightly.

I really see that Iban people need Jesus. Praise the Lord, our church is there to offer Jesus to them.

I also had a chance to talk to the pastor-in-charge, Rev Chan Jing Mei (who took over the ministry from me in 2006), who is very committed to do Iban mission also. I asked for her input about what important content I should put down in the curriculum I want to develop for adult Ibans. She emphasized writing about building up their faith and how to overcome sins.

A faithful disciple of Jesus,
Pastor Law Hui Seng
(Miri, 15th May, 2011)


Posted by Teresa Han

No comments: