Monday, February 7, 2011

Dear brothers and sisters and friends,


It is with much enthusiasm and excitment in writing this weekly reflection to you!

Praise the Lord I flew back last Friday night as planned and met my family and stayed with them till Tuesday morning before we flew here (KK) to celebrate our CNY. Last Saturday, I conducted a marriage blessing at GMC and preached at Bethel Church on our life goal was to glorify God and be like Christ. Today I preached at Agape Methodist Chruch (KK, Lintas Square) and conducted the monthly Holy Communion. I still preached with fire, passion and conviction on the person of Jesus, praise the Lord.

A few GMC brothers and sisters in Miri asked me about my studies in Sabah Theological Seminary after 1 month. I said it was heaven for me here! Why? The lecturers and fellow students and everything are excellent. We live together as one big, harmonious, and joyful family. The lecturers and librarians are very helpful in my learning. All my prayers on the manpower needed for my thesis were answered. Jesus gave me the needed qualified people to supervise my future thesis on how to be a BM speaking pastor.

I also learn a lot from a fortnightly translation of the seminary's chaplain weekly IN-REACHING & UPLIFTING, from English to BM. It is not only great learning from him but it is also sharpening my skill of translation which I acquired from my university days. I can bless at least 60 indigenous theological students if they read my translation. It is a big bonus for me in STS!

Praise the Lord for granting me and my wife a quick recovery from the virus attack just before the CNY eve! The reunion with my in-laws was very meaningful as I spent time sharing with them. My father-in-law is 94 years old now and we could play Chinese chess together!

Never Give Up

As I do my weekly reflection, attend lectures, read bible and books of all kinds, prepare 2 sermons, observe my family members and society and played Chinese chess these last 2 weeks, I learn a lot about not giving up on doing God's will (what is right).

Abraham Lincoln (a Christian, a former United States President in the 19th century), studied law and experienced a bad business which took him 15 years to pay the debts in 1833. He was elected as a member of the Illinois House of Representatives in 1834, re-elected in 1836, 1838 and 1840, and served in the post until 1842. In 1860, he was elected as the President and he was re-elected for the second term in 1864. On 1st January, 1863, he issued the famous Emancipation Proclamation, declaring the slaves of the Confederacy forever free. He died a tragic death by gun-shot in 1865. I see this faithful disciple of Jesus who stood by what Jesus desired him to do, through numerous defeats, he never gave up. He knew God's will of setting free the slaves and he stood by it and even paid a dear price of death for it. However, he and others transformed the nation of US. Just because he did not give up on standing for what is right! Can you and I do the same?

I see also in our patriarch, our spiritual fore-father, Abraham, a faith who never gave up on doing God's will. He obeyed God's calling to leave his comfort zone of his hometown to head towards a promised land which was not specifically identified yet. He did not give up on God who asked Him to sacrifice his only son! He did not give up in pursuing the Promised Land when he faced so many enemies and obstacles. Deep down in his heart, I see that he stood by God's will for him. He might make lots of mistakes, and he might be discouraged, disappointed, hurt and defeated many times. Because he stood by God's will, he never give up on God's will. A great character of perseverance and faith which I need to emulate!

Jesus, my Lord and Savior, gives me the greatest boost of what it means not to give up on God's will. With all the sufferings you can imagine right from the days of His early ministry at the age of 30 years old till the crucifixion on the cross, He was faithful to do the father's will to die a sacrificial death to redeem mankind from sin and hell. He overcame all the temptations of giving up to the devil and avoided all the sufferings. Can I and can you, withstood all the sufferings that come with doing God's will?

My father-in-law did not give up on a Chinese chess game which appeared that he was going to lose and finally he turned around and defeat me in a surprise move!

The challenge for your life is this: As you are certain of dsing Jesus' will,do not give up when the going gets tough. Persevere as Jesus is with you all the way.

A faithful disciple of Jesus,

Pastor Law Hui Seng

(6th February, 2011, Sunday, KK)

Posted by Teresa Han

No comments: